Friday, June 22, 2007

Questions about Coopworth

i have 3 lbs of Coopworth that i got as a birthday present in march. i finally got more bobbins to use to spin it up, but i started & it's way too "wild" to be laceweight, which is how i was spinning. luckily i didn't have to get very fal at all to see this. i was wondering if anyone has suggestions for spinning it and has spun/is spinning it. i've seen that it is best for outerwear & rugs, but i don't want to use 3 lbs of roving just to make something i'm gonna step & walk all over.

4 comments:

Lacefreak said...

Have never spun coopworth but have a book that talks about its sturdy characteristics. Have you thought to spin it, dye it and then knit it into a bag or basket to felt? It would be then pretty and useful to either knit from or to hold wool, yarn, supplies etc. Or, spin it to a heavier weight and knit or crochet it into a handbag that you line with a pretty fabric?

Karin Rosman said...

My green sweater is knitted from hand spun coopworth. The only time I find it scratchy is if I wear a short sleeve shirt under it. 3 pounds is enough to do a bulky sweater, with a V-neck, it would be away from your skin.

Marlene said...

I knit my Shy Sheep Vest from very scratchy wool. The natural colour was Coopworth and the variegated green was from a down breed discard fleece. It turned out lovely. I just have to wear a shirt with a collar underneath so that it doesn't irritate my neck.

Monika said...

You can always make felted slippers with it. I have about 5oog of it too. It's very rustic.