Sunday, June 24, 2007





Finally a post about me. My name is Gemma, I have been spinning for approximately four months, but I was able to purchase a spinning wheel second hand, and so have been having some fun for a while. This rainforest wool is the fourth bundle of roving I have spun, and I get more consistent with each new project, so hopefully the next lot (which is caramel coloured merino/camel) will be suitable for a lacy shawl. But to show how far I have come so far, here is the hardware and the finished software, but still a little coarse for a shawl.
I got 18 wpi for this spinning, and I am almost embarrassed to admit it, as you all spin so beautifully and so much more finely.... this is quite a learning curve for me, and I will just have to see where it takes me.

Cheers from Australia

5 comments:

Marlene said...

Your yarn looks lovely!

According to my chart, 16 WPI is fingering and anything 18 WPI or higher is considered laceweight. "Laceweight" covers quite a broad range in commercial yarns. Many lovely shawl patterns are done with fingeringweight anyway.

Tracy said...

Your yarn looks amazing and I think it would make a lovely lace project.

Kirsten said...

I agree with Marlene and Tracy, it looks like you could easily make a shawl with your yarn. Don't be so hard on yourself, the yarn is really beautiful.

That Spinning Place said...

Your yarn is really lovely, Gemma! I'm glad I stumbled on your post! Have fun! Cheers, *Wen*

Lacefreak said...

I think your yarn is lovely! It would make a really beautiful shawl. You don't have to knit with thin yarn on tiny needles to make terrific lace. Just look at Meg Swanssens lace patterns! Do you know how many yards you have? The Flower Basket Shawl pattern is sized for multipal gages of yarn and might be a nice one to look at.