Friday, June 15, 2007

Introduction - Finally got myself spinning for the KAL

Hi there, I'm CAT.....
I'm so excited to be a part of this group because I've only been spinning since last fall. You can see my learning experience in 2 episodes of my video podcast LetsKnit2gether and more recently on my blog.
I haven't yet spun anything laceweight and I felt like this Spin/KAL would help inspire me to get there and I can reach out to you all for advice along the way...
Software: I got this pound of blended Colonial Wool from CJ Kopec Creations
I love the colors with Purples, greens and black. It has a staple length of 4-5 inches and it is spinning up beautifully. I'm predrafting a lot beforehand because I'm still not that experienced spinning fine.

Hardware: Fricke E-Spinner
I've only had this since January. Before that I was spinning on a support spindle, so I'm really still only learning how to use it.


At this point, I'm spinning at 36wpi....


I'm running nearly the top speed for the larger pulley. If I switch to the smaller pulley, I may be able to get to 40wpi without running the motor so high. I'm going to try that this weekend.
I haven't yet chosen the project I want to do yet, I'm waiting for the spun yarn to inspire me. These are the ones under consideration....

Well, that's it for now...Happy Spinning!!!

6 comments:

Lacefreak said...

Dear Cat,

I have really enjoyed looking at your video casts and I think the fiber you have selected is a beautiful color. Can't wait to see what you will knit with it.

Kristine said...

HI Cat,
I am excited to see that you spin. I have seen your video podcasts and they are great! Your yarn looks great.

Monika said...

Hi Cat,
I've seen your video podcast about the e-spinner, I think it's very professional. Your roving looks wonderful. I like your tool for determine the WPI. What is it?

Kirsten said...

Beautiful choice of roving! That e-spinner looks like an interesting tool.

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

Hi, I am about to start spinning (wheel is due to be delivered any day now)...what is the plastic card called that you are holding....looks like something to check gauge of the yarn?
Many thanks!

CAT said...

The tool is called "SPINNER'S CONTROL CARD & YARN GAUGE". I bought it at http://thewoolery.com/Pages/spinaccess.html