Monday, June 11, 2007

Other Hand Spun Shawls I have Known


































Thought I'd post some of the shawls that I have made or am making with hand spun yarn. I've only done three. The first one was done years ago when I first started spinning. It's actually a very pale peach color that does not translate to the photos. It has belonged to an elderly friend of mine, Louise, all this time so I had to borrow it back to take pictures because it was Pre-Digital Photography. It's a merino wool that I bought from Straw Into Gold in Berkeley CA when it still was there. Spun woolen (hey, I had no clue) it is the christening shawl from Knitters Magazine. Not very even but still pretty. The next one you see is from the same green merino/silk fiber I'm currently spinning. It's Mountain Pines by "Two Old Bags" and was started in 2006 and finished in 2007. I wore it to Stitches West 2007 and it now belongs to my friend, Jerry in Seattle. The last is a very rough hand-spun I made when I came back to spinning after a years long absence. Its very uneven but still has a rustic charm. This shawl languished because I didn't have the correction to the lace pattern and kept getting it wrong. I've got it now but it's a low priority knit for me right now. There you have it. Past/current efforts with my meager hand spun yarn. Hope these next efforts at spinning turn out well. I'm spinning two yarns but will only knit one for my shawl. I plan to give the other yarn to someone else to knit with. Until later!

9 comments:

Kirsten said...

They are all beautiful. What is the pattern you are using for the third one?

Monika said...

Beautiful shawls!

margene said...

They are all some of most beautiful shawls I've ever seen. Sigh.

Sherry W said...

Uneven! I'd be happy with any of them!

Mintdee said...

Those are beautiful! Very talented

Unknown said...

Wow! Those are amazing!

dorothy in wyoming said...

Grin for those that did not recognize the third shawl let me introduce you to Elizabeth Zimmerman often simply known as EZ to her multitude of fans.

The third shawl is an incarnation of the famous Pi Shawl. Pattern in Knitters Almanac a small inexpensive paperback that belongs in most peoples libraries.

Lovely job on all the shawls. I enjoyed seeing an actual picture of Mountain Pines a shawl I have the pattern for and on my someday list.

Lacefreak said...

Dorothy is right. The third shawl is the Shetland Tea Shawl from "A Gathering Of Lace" and is based on he Pi Shawl by EZ :-)

Karin Rosman said...

These are beautiful! Sigh. In due time, in due time.